S.E.R.E is training that soldiers at high risk of capture take in order to survive. Sadly, no equivalent exists for civilian personnel that end up drafted to the ranks of TPS report devotees. Until now.
At Cubicle Warrior, we are trying to draft that sort of operational training now. For better or worse, the authors have been captured by corporate America. The upside is that you can follow along as we chronicle our efforts to Survive, Endure, Resist, and Escape.
The downside is, of course, that we only know a few lucky souls who have managed to ditch the cubicle for good while keeping a high standard of living. Here we will extrapolate, explore, and enact.
Or, as the Gunny might say, ‘Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.’
Cyclical goals need inertia to get started. Sometimes work (and life) has to be survived. You go, not because you want to but because you must. College loans, mortgage payments, or family health insurance mandate your regular attendance. Here’s how to make it through relatively unscathed.
- Happiness on the Job: How to get a career started.
- Fitness: Stop bad traits.
- Financial Security: Get out of debt.
Cyclical goal demand consistency. This is often the most difficult part.
- Happiness on the Job: How not to go postal and Making a better career.
- Fitness: Start sculpting a body or building endurance.
- Financial Security: Stay out of debt.
Here’s a helping hand for getting through the rat race without turning into, well, a rat.
- Laughter is the best medicine. Humor, irony and sarcastic invective have long been effective tools of regime change.
- Happiness on the Job: Who needs a job?
- Fitness: Aggressive goals.
- Financial Security: Building a safety net.
Once you reach the desired state of a cyclical goal it takes comparatively little effort to maintain it than to get there again. Like birds gliding on thermal drafts, the true masters of cyclical goals evolve their lifestyles to the point where they automatically do the little things needed to stay on track.
- Realizing that better day; the one sans cube.
- Fitness: Staying in shape.
- Financial Security: Staying comfortable.